Monday, February 06, 2006

A lovely book here kids. A pal at work, who's Irish, but loves Scottish writing turned me on to this title. I've read loads of other Ian Rankin novels from his series centered around Inspector J Rebus, and so I really didn't know what to expect from his first ever Novel, The Flood. He wrote it while still in University, and may have written his best book yet in my opinion. It's set in a now Defunct Fife coal mining town and follows three generations of a very unusual family through their trials and tribulations. The sections dealing with Sandy, the 15 yr old bastard son were really telling and fun. Anyhow, think it was released in rather low numbers, but keep your eyes peeled in those dusty old book stores, for Rankin is an author to read.

2 comments:

hold steady said...

Just started Rankin's "Fleshmarket Close", and definetly has my attention.

Duncan said...

If you want to read others, I have all of the rebus novels...hope you like it; I know you must be daydreaming with all the Edinburgh references in there eh?