Sunday, October 01, 2006

Currently sitting in the coffee shot enjoying a dark Italian Roast and feeling contentment and a wee bit of relief. Seems that we've reached a tentative deal with Tech, and I'll be heading back to work as scheduled tommorrow morning. Be interesting to see what the deal contains, and we'll be going to vote to hopefully ratify within 10 days I understand. But that wasn't the reason I began this post. I'm just wondering on the 'rules of engagement' regarding the use of laptops publically, and more precicely the habit some seem to have of looking over the user's shoulder. There's a guy behind me right now who's apparently very interested in everything I do on this machine. And no Patches, I'm not surfing any of my 'fav' sites! Just newpapers, news and blogs. Yet, wait now...gonna quickly peek over my shoulder! Yup, there he is again, watching enraptured. Caught again, he looks away; only to go right back to staring once I'm back at the keyboard. This whole phenomenon makes me wonder, by bringing such devices into public, are we just opening ourselves up to such 'intrusions;' or was Mom right all along. Don't read over a stranger's shoulder?

5 comments:

Duncan said...

To get this started, I'll admit that I try not to stare. It just FEELS rude. That said, there is nonethess a little voyeuristic tendency to find out what's going on over yonder!

Anonymous said...

People are just curious -- so I guess they just can't help themselves. And given your predilictions maybe they think they might see something interesting.

joz said...

Use your webcam to capture a pic of the offenders.

Dr. Fatty said...

Was it an older guy? What's the matter with a little curiosity of this "crazy new" technology.

If it was a younger person, who cares? If you take your dirty laundry out into the public, it's everyones business.

Lex said...

Were you sorting your Fun in Car files?