Wednesday, February 27, 2008



Well, time for a movie review. There Will be Blood. I was upset I didn't get to see this Pre-Oscar night, I might have picked it in a few more categories had I viewed it. First off, the film opens with nearly 20 compelling minutes, sans dialog. You don't need words to be spoken to tell Daniel Day Lewis is gonna be beyond good in this film. And he was. This could be one of the top ten performances I've ever seen. I'm going to be careful and brief about what I say here, so as to not ruin for those of you still planning on going. The score was unusual, very industrial sounding and it built up the energy of the film in a most unusual way. It worked very well in a film whose dialog comes in spurts - and whose pacing seemed non conventional. In all the film is 2.5 hrs long, but moves very nicely. DD Lewis's character grows before our eyes, we slowly learn why he despises the full of shit evangelist played wonderfully by the big brother from Little Miss Sunshine. His character has touches of Citizen Cain (no Rosebud though), John Huston's character in Chinatown, or even a little bald Brando in a cave! There is tons I want to say here, but I'm already deleting items for fear of ruining it for ya folks. Tonight it's off to the Kamloops Film Festival for opening night and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

No comments: