Sunday, November 05, 2006

A few DRo recommendations:

Healthy defense and Matt Cooke traded, but alas I digress.



What a wonderful book. I'd heard about it a while back, forgotten about it and picked it up one day finally by chance. It centers around a freaky, rather unnatural gold Sikta Spruce revered by the Haida and growing in Haida Gwaii. It also follows the life of a timber scout named Grant Hadwin whose life will cross the spruce in a way that made headlines back in 1997. The writing is superb, it makes you feel and smell the forest and provides great insight into the history of logging in the province as well as the rise and fall of the great tribes of the Northwest. I can't say enough about this book as I fall far behind the eloquence of the author, John Vaillant. Read it, enjoy it please.

And hmm, a disk to enjoy while perusing your newly aquired or borrowed book?

A pick from the lovely Kate:



I'm terrible at describing music, I only know what I like and dislike. I really enjoy this album; her voice is magic and the vocal and musical pace of the record put me in a nice place. Hope you like it if you get off your asses and check it out.

And finally, after a day touring the vineyards of the Okanagan, I should probably recommend a bottle of vino to accompany your text and audio selections. One shouldn't neglect the palate after all.



Winemaker's Notes
Our 2003 Grand Reserve Meritage is an expertly crafted blend of all 5 of the classic Bordeaux grape varietals - Cabernet Sauvignon (40%), Merlot (40%) and Cabernet Franc (7%), Malbec (10%) and Petit Verdot (3%). This wine was aged in new French and American oak barrels for 18 months to add complexity and structure. Deep ruby in colour, our Meritage has a nose dominated by aromas of ripe raspberries, plums and vanilla underscored with chocolate and spicy black pepper. The concentrated fruit flavours of berries, chocolate and coffee intricately fold with the firm leather tannins providing an elegant prolonged finish.


I just thought it was tasty! There is a bottle in my basement now...hmm...wish I wasn't working tonight now. Oh well, there's always next week! Enjoy kiddos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well maybe it's time to think of giving up the mine and moving on to a new roll as critic. I'll skip the book, I'm downloading Imogen, and you can keep the cheap OK plonk to yourself. As for the Canucks, .....