Saturday, July 21, 2007

Just had to blog this. I was, moments ago, soundly asleep to be awoken by the doorbell. Carefully answering it, I find a weaving well dressed fella of Native descent. He begins by apologizing for the hour and requesting the use of my phone to call a cab. I tell him I'll call him a cab, to which he thanks me profusely and calls me 'sir' a couple of times. Weird as he seemed younger than me. This entire scenario seems odd - so I ask him why he chose this driveway. He smiles a glamorous grin and tells me he's too tired to walk anymore. At this point I can tell this guy is just at the end of a long night and wants to go home, so I call his cab and keep an eye on him from the window. All he did was weave about a bit, sit for a rest and then spring up again to keep an eye out for his taxi. After he climbed in, I just found myself curious about what kind of society we've become? I feel a twitch of shame that I didn't bring him in, serve him some water and a Tylenol while he waited. We're so wound up in fear now, such simple acts of kindness seem ridiculous. I feel safer having handled it the way I did, but nonetheless wonder why we live in such fear of one another. Sad.

No comments: