Saturday, July 21, 2007


Sam Snead once said that accommodation and food at a British Open were like "campin' out." Boo Weekley seconded that emotion today.

"It's rough. It's been rough on that food. Ain't got no sweet tea, and ain't got no fried chicken," said the backwoods product of Milton. Fla., who turns 34 Monday.

Weekley, who dropped two shots coming in and shot 72 to stand at two-under-par, famously asked Paul Lawrie last week whether he'd be playing here, and how he qualified. He'd never heard of the 1999 Open champion.

"Yeah, I kind of stuck my foot in my mouth there, didn't I?" he said. "But if you don't know, you don't know. I hated that I said what I said, especially with him saying just a couple days earlier that he don't get no respect, and then I say something like that, it's like, Wham! Here's a slap upside your head.'"

Clearly he hasn't travelled outside the U.S. much.

"I've been to Canada once," he said, "but that ain't really like leavin'."

No comments: