Thursday, September 29, 2005



I'm hoping (against all odds) to get a new posting running one of the above shovels at the mine. There appears to be the opportunity for movement to go through the roof this coming year, but I need a change stat. I'm becoming increasingly fed up with having to throw my mind's switch into neutral every time I board my truck. I keep reminding myself that it's only for four days, and that it affords a fine lifestlye. That said, change is a good thing - and I'd be happy changing jobs every two years in this industry. Word around the campfire is that we're hiring 80-100 employees within a year to keep up with the aging workforce who are set to retire. Good thing, because another year or two on a truck whould really have me wondering how some guys have managed to do the same thing for 20+ yrs!?!? Which brings me to the question: are the majority of us working to maintain a lifestlye, or are we working to challenge ourselves?

1 comment:

Dr. Fatty said...

I think a lot of people get stuck with the notion that work defines who we are. I've been thinking about this a lot over the last few years and I think it's an ass backwards way to live.

I feel it's important that you enjoy what you do for a living, but to make it the best 20-25% of your life doesn't make sense. I'd rather be only somewhat happy during my time at work and having a blast away from work. I don't see the point in working 60-80 hours a week for the sake of a job that may have some sense of prestige to a very small percentage of the population.

Of course, it's all up to the individual and what makes them happy. Me, I like what I do, but I like what I do at home or with friends much more.

I think people should move away from the thought that you should only push yourself mentally at work. The majority of your time is spent away from work, and this is where you should concentrate on being a better person or challenging yourself.

It's only my opinion, but it's the right one.