Friday, October 12, 2007


Hey Matt, let's try and do a bit of the above tonight please. Love ya when you skate, hit, and score!
Hate yer guts when you're one of these. Prediction - Canucks smarten the hell up and win a close one tonight. 3-2.

On another completely unrelated note; I called my usual Chimney Sweep to do their thing prior to indoor fire season this morning. Buddy's wife proceeds to tell me that it'll be $150. I tell her this is double what they charged me last year and inquire to the increase. She informs me they are busy. I tell her my mechanic is busy too, but he doesn't bill me on a sliding scale. She tries to brush this off with a laugh and attempts to confirm my appointment for next week. I tell her that there is no way in hell that I'm paying double because it's Fall. She now proceeds to inform me that this was their idea to convince customers to have the sweeping done in the Spring, when as she put it, 'They're hurting for money." Laughter ensues. I tell her that she can't count on my cash or business anymore and that I'll be calling around for other quotes. She tells me they could do it right away. Imagine that, not busy despite doubling the going rate? Hmm. I get off the phone. Got a guy booked next week for $70. Must try that stunt with my boss when I get back to work. 'I'm kinda busy during the golf season - my hourly rate just doubled!'

1 comment:

Dr. Fatty said...

I agree with you; it was good to go elsewhere for the work. But, I hope you weren't too mean to her on the phone. I lean way left, but I do embrace many aspects of capitalism, and I don't think businesses should have to justify rate increases to customers. The customer always has the option to go elsewhere, like you wisely did.

As for Cooke, he's never been worth anything. He's a bum, and he and about three lines worth of bums on the Canucks should just walk away and give all Vancouverites and Canuck fans a break.

Next year will be an interesting one what with Naslund, Morrison and their huge contracts gone.