Wednesday, October 24, 2007

More 'Inter-Web' theft for your perusal. Firsl line in the following quote is almost as funny as the pic of Ron:



A few simple techniques will have your pumpkin lasting like Walt Disney. You already have many of the best preservation products lying around the house.

I read a few websites that said you should coat the cut surface with Vaseline or you can use something called "Pumpkin Preserver" that you buy at the halloween store.

I doubt it will surprise you if I told you I don't do either of those things.

For one thing, I hope to get through my entire life without covering anything with Vaseline. Second, I am not making a special trip to a store for something called Pumpkin Preserver. I don't have time for that crap.

I spray the crap out of the pumpkin with WD-40. It seems like it is similar to Vaseline. Petroleum right? It is clear and I already have a can of it. Usually that can is within 10 steps of where I am carving a pumpkin. Best of all, it works.

Actually, I don't even use name brand WD-40, I use the dollar store variety. I especially like the name "Spra Loos". That is a sweet name.

People keep writing me and asking if this really works and/or if it is dangerous. The answer is yes it does really work. You spray the entire pumpkin inside and out and it will prevent rotting for a while. Keep in mind that a pumpkin will usually start to rot in about 3 days of cool (70 degree) weather and less in hot weather so don't carve those pumpkins too early.

Also, some folks seem to think that WD40 will combust violently when they put a tealight candle in the pumpkin. To them I say nope! The oil in WD40 is flamable indeed but it really will only combust when it is vaporized. Once it is on the surface of the pumpkin it won't light. Trust me, I've tried to light a pumpkin on fire in a number of ways. Just don't spray the WD40 on the pumpkin while the candle is burning.


Enjoy carving y'all!

No comments: