Thursday, July 17, 2008



Park wardens have closed the day-use area between Banff and Yoho National Parks after a female jogger was bitten by a bear on Wednesday evening.

The Belgian woman, who is working in Lake Louise for the summer, was running on the old Highway 1A near the Great Divide day-use area on the Alberta-B.C. border when she encountered a black bear, Parks Canada said Thursday.

The 23-year-old woman tried to back away and make a lot of noise, but the bear followed her for about 100 metres. She then lay down and tried to play dead. The animal proceeded to circle and lick her, eventually biting her at least six times on her legs and back.


I'm no expert - but I think you only 'play dead' once teh bear has KNOCKED you down. Don't think laying down right off the bat is your best bet.

2 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

I can't remember, do bears have trouble running up hill or down hill.
Anyhow, I think I tried one of these first!

Dr. Fatty said...

I've read that if it's a black bear you play dead once you think it will notice you (I think that's what I read years ago). If it's a grizzly you run like hell no matter what.

I'd think bears can't run downhill too well.