Friday, June 06, 2008



Negotiations to keep the Hockey Night in Canada theme song have collapsed, meaning the program is now in search of another anthem, CBC News has learned.

Copyright Music & Visuals, the Toronto agency representing the song's composer, owner and administrator Dolores Claman said on Friday that the deal had fallen through.

K - everyone knows something about this story at this point it seems. I have only one question however: What exactly does Ms. Claman now plan to do with the rights? I don't think anyone will be lining up to pay her $500 every time the song is used publicly. I've heard that the MotherCorp spends more annually on the HNIC tune than the NFL spends on the theme for Monday Night Football. It blows that we're losing a bit of Canadian history; I wonder however, if this comes down to pure greed or thriftiness?

2 comments:

Dr. Fatty said...

I think everyone has to learn how to let go of the past. That way everyone will be happier in general.

It's a song. Who cares? I think the CBC should offer the writer a one time pay out (say, $5-10,000) and leave it at that.

Good point D-Ro, what the hell is she going to do with it now?

But again, it's a damned song for an intro to a GAME. It really means less than nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Having said all that, it's a pretty good theme and I hope it stays, but not at all costs; it is you and I paying for it after all.

Random Thoughts said...

Yes, I think that the writer should be happy with the income this song (that for whatever reason has stirred up so much controversy...it is, let us remember, just a song) has generated for her and she should take a pay out.

There's now rumors that there will be a contest to select the new theme song from entries submitted from whomever. I'm thinking that Therzo should spend some of his recuperating time composing a tune for DRo's vocals. Could you imagine the caterwaul???