Monday, November 05, 2007

Citing "two Swedish ice hockey sources," the Canadian newspaper reported that Forsberg left the ice after about an hour and told reporters he didn't pass his "personal test." He apologized to fans who bought tickets for the Karjala Cup, an annual event between Finland, Sweden, Russia and the Czech Republic. He then reportedly told the media that he realized he "made a fool of himself" and said, "I just can't do it."

It looks as though one of the greats of my generation is done. This was a player unlike others. Skilled, strong as an Ox (willing to play tough and dirty to boot!) and as good a goal scorer as any. Best of luck Foppa, and thanks for the memories. Think the best was watching him finish the game (obviously injured hard core) and get ye olde spleen removed afterwards...who says Swedes are soft?



According to the Globe and Mail, Forsberg left the ice at Sweden's national team practice on Monday after an hour, saying his ankle wasn't holding up.

"It's extremely tough and I know that everyone can understand how I feel," he told a Swedish television station.

"It doesn't feel good, I always try to stay positive, but today is a very dark day."

1 comment:

Dr. Fatty said...

I'd always take him for my dream team, but I never found him to be an exciting player. I found he tried too hard to play the "Canadian" style of hockey and not the true style of hockey which I think can only be found in Europe nowadays; of course, with much less talent because the money's not there.

You know everyone in the NHL would go to Europe and tailor their game as such if there was money there, and not so much here.