Thursday, May 29, 2008

Alrighty kids, I'll warn y'all now. This could be a long rambling post as I'm not quite sure what I'm feeling at the moment. I'll start by saying that I had a super night last evening. JFu and I gratefully joined his cousin at his flat to watch what actually turned out to be a hockey game. I was glad to see the Pens. make a series out of this, and continue to be amazed by the (startlingly) spooky leader that young Sindey Crosby is molding himself into.

That said (I digress already) one has to wonder what might have been in store for Luc Bourdon who died this afternoon. The kid overcame a horrific broken leg three years back if memory serves. I respect what he overcame to get back (albeit sporadicly) to the NHL, and he would have been there on a regular basis had it not been for the red herring whose name is Edler.

Discipline Duncan, discipline - back to last evening. We all had a great time. I'll hang out with JFu's cuz anytime, he's an awful lot funnier than anyone reading this post! HarHar. Couldn't help but temp Mr. Brown there! Glad you're home BTW lad!

Anyhoo...JFu and I decided after the game to go and check out Indy.

I should let you all know that, as a child, I was some kinda geek. I saw Indy roughly 13-83 times at the cinema. I loved it. I still adore Raiders like crazy. There's a wee spot in my chest that gets tight and excited whenever I hear the score. That said, the theme excited me last night, and I felt let down from there on in. I understand that Indy is OLD in this film, and that the script works around the amount of years that have passed since we last saw our hero in the second best film of the franchise (The current film firmly falls behind 'The Temple of Doom" fiasco in my opinion). I realize that the audience is expected to make amends for the passing of time...but I still have to care. This film was pretty gorgeous, and I loved the IDEA of the script (not the way Lucas presented it to the director), but I wasn't 'swooned.' The scenes lingered too long, the laughs were way to infrequent, and worst of all: I didn't believe it. hate to say it, but it shouldn't have been made - way too much Lucas, not nearly enough Spielberg (I really think he was pushed into this), and not the Indy I so wanted to cheer for.

I once owned a fedora and a bullwhip. At the same time. I was the kid walking around Clifford Ave. with an oversized felt hat trying to whip apples from trees, grasshoppers from walkways - well you get the idea.

I was certainly not that kid last night - George Lucas, you do nothing but piss me off. Please go away. Steven - buddy - love ya, but don't let the bearded monster talk you into anything else. Harrison - thanks. I'l watch it again (cuz my lady is pissed!) and maybe I'll feel rekindled. JFu - thanks for going with me. That kid with the hat and the whip - enjoy the memories, because everything was better back then.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Grrrrrr.
Yes D - grrrrrr.
That is a growl.

I'm a little concerned about seeing this, though I'm still going to, as you pretty much summed up what I've heard from others....I so don't want to be disapointed!